All in one, Free and Open Source 3D creation
What is Bforartists?
Bforartists is a complete free and open source 3D suite to create 3D content. It offers you the full 3D art pipeline to create game graphics, prerendered movies and stills. From modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging, animation, rendering, up to post processing.
Bforartists stands for Be For Artists. A reminder to develop for the user, not the programmer.
Bforartists is a fork of the popluar open source 3d software Blender. The primary goal of the Bforartists fork is to deliver a better graphical UI and a better usability. This means a complete switch in the useage philosophy. Away from the hotkey and speed centered useage. Towards a user friendly and intuitive graphical UI.
Note that Bforartists is fully functional. Every feature that works in Blender should also work in Bforartists. Note also, we are always searching for volunteers to get the development going. Every help is welcome
We have now a Mac build again. Many thanks goes to Pedro Dias Vicente. The download can as usual be found in the download section.
Why choose Bforartists, and not Blender?
Note that the following information is valid for Bforartists 1, the current stable version of Bforartists. The code in the repository is already development code for Bforartists version 2.
The main differences of Bforartists to Blender 2.79 are:
- A brand new Keymap with Left Click select, which is reduced to just the necessary hotkeys.
- Cleaned up User Interface. More than 600 not necessary double menu entries removed.
- Extended User Interface. Close to 100 formerly hotkey only tools have a menu entry now.
- Rearranged User Interface. Some things are better accessible now, some are not so much in the way anymore.
- 700 new native icons.
- Icon Buttons in the Tool Shelf to reduce the scrolling.
- A configurable Toolbar with icon buttons.
- Improved Layouts.
- Better Tooltips.
- Better readable standard theme.
- Some neat new addons to improve usability, like the reset 3D View addon or the Important Hotkey addon.
- And lots more small details like hidable 3D Cursor or Wireframe Colors. Or that you can now delete objects and selections without the delete menu quiz.
A detailed list of the changes can be found in the release notes: www.bforartists.de/wiki/release-notes
But the code is just half of the show. Another important bit are the non code things.
- The Bforartists usage is centered around the graphical menu, not hotkeys. Bforartists relies at an intuitive and self explaining graphical UI in the first place. And then the hotkeys.
- The target audience for Bforartists are hobbyists and indie developers. Blender tries to target professionals. But most of them don’t care for various reasons.
- A better manual. The Blender manual is in big parts unsearchable, has an odd structure, and relies heavily at the Blender keymap to name just a few flaws, making it unusable for users. That’s why we rewrite it, piece by piece.
- Official learning videos. No need to spend days with searching for the one tutorial that is understandable, for the actual version and is not a spelling lesson. This is also an ongoing project.
- Bforartists is not bound to the Blender bubble. It has its own independant eco system.