Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

3.3 Editors – UV Image Editor – Page 19

Here is a thought on the Unwrap menu entry naming conventions, based of the documentation and the way they are – suggeting an alternative below.

Advanced:
    Unwrap ABF
    Useful for organic shapes. Smooths the mesh into a flat surface by cutting along seams.
    Unwrap LSCM
    Useful for non organic shapes. Smooths the mesh into a flat surface by cutting along seams.

When I started to use this for some unwrapping, I had no idea which was the difference, and less what the accronyms were.

Later I find the following:

Angle Based – ABF
    This method gives a good 2D representation of a mesh. Good for organic shape.
    Conformal – LSCM
    Uses LSCM (Least Squared Conformal Mapping). This usually gives a less accurate UV mapping than
    Angle Based, but works better for geometric shape.

I would like to suggest changing the name to be what they are logicallly: 1. Angle Based Unwrap and 2. Conformal Unwrap OR 1. Organic Unwrap and 2. Geometric Unwrap

Just thought it would make more artistic sense. Thoughts?

:dance:

#17261 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Thanks for the suggestion Draise. I am against it though.

A graphics artist usually knows what LSCM or Angle Based unwrapping is. And when not then you can google the terms. When i change the name then users doesn’t have a chance to google the terms anymore. No good idea.

#17262 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Blender is the first instance of those types of unwrapping terms I’ve heard of, to be honest. I’ve worked in animation for years… I googled it and the first few pages is just Blender results. I don’t think this really is a thing in the industry. As far as I know, Modo is one of the main DCC’s (and not even a popular one) that uses the two methods.. I googled other DCC’s breifly to see if it was a thing, and there usually is only one Unwrap feature.

I would even consider this a double entry for the Unwrap, and opt to only have the better unwrapping method as the unwrap feature.

#17263 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Adding the need to search the docs and/or google what apparently is a double entry doesn’t make much sense artistically, and more so that the unwrap features is a technical method to unwrapping, instead of a more global single UV unwrap feature.

Just an alternative suggestion..

#17264 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Maybe there is a simple solution to save the confusion by changing the tooltip. At the moment both are identicle.

#17265 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Hm, i could swear that i had this tooltip fixed already. I remember that i couldn’t separate it, but i think i had added more text. Anyways. We cannot explain the world in the tooltips. That’s impossible.

The vital part is already there. What it is and what it does. It is a special UV mapping algorithm that unwraps your mesh. And the one gives a bit different results than the other. What else do you  miss?

#17267 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Better? :)

#17268 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

That makes more sense. Thanks for this. I’m sure other artists newbies will appreciate it.

I have started up a 3D generalist animation course that I tutor here in Colombia, so it will make it that much easier to teach someone BFA, while we go through the motions.

#17269 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Oki :)

The new tooltip will arrive in next Bforartists version :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.